How do you get Chartered?

Process to get Chartered

To apply for qualification as a Chartered Chemical Engineer (MIChemE), IChemE will require evidence that you have the required level of two aspects:

  • knowledge and understanding
  • professional experience


Use the self-assessment tool to find out what you'll need to get started.

Knowledge and understanding

Compile the appropriate evidence of your knowledge and understanding, as indicated at the end of the self diagnosis.

Professional experience

Provide evidence that you have the minimum required level of professional experience in a Competence and Commitment report.


Start an online application and upload the appropriate evidence for both levels of knowledge and understanding and professional experience when required.


Your application will be submitted for peer review - see a map of the application and assessment process under the relevant guidance sections for knowledge and understanding, and professional experience.

Find out more

Learn more about the process and get tips from an IChemE staff member in a Get Chartered information session.