Technical reports

Process to get Chartered, submitting technical report

You can demonstrate that your chemical engineering knowledge and understanding is at the minimum required level for a Chartered Chemical Engineer by submitting a piece of written work

  • in industry, we refer to this as a technical report
  • in academia, this would be a paper or collection of papers

Use the self diagnosis to check whether you need to submit a technical report and whether you have to focus the report on a particular aspect:

  • technical report - standard
  • technical report - focused on design
    demonstrating ability to apply knowledge to a design, research or other complex project, eg if you studied a degree covered by the FEANI international agreement or were otherwise advised during the self diagnosis check
  • technical report - focused on further learning
    demonstrating achievement of further learning in industry, eg if you studied a degree that was accredited by IChemE as partially meeting the level required for Chartered status - to Bachelors level

nb You may not be required to submit a technical report or academic papers if you were advised as such at the end of the self diagnosis. For instance, if you studied a degree with current IChemE accreditation to the full level required for a Chartered Member.

Download and read:

General guidance on writing a technical report

Cover sheet to submit with your technical report

Review process for submitting a technical report

Not in membership? Apply for Affiliate or Associate Member and get full support whilst you work towards and prepare your application for Chartered Member MIChemE (more on which grade of membership to apply for).

Further information

General guidance

Demonstrating knowledge and understanding